Research at a Glance
• KU Entomology is one of the most active and productive of entomological enterprises in the world.
• In 2014 Division staff and students published over 70 articles in international, peer-reviewed journals, including Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Current Biology, PLoS ONE, eLife, Systematic Entomology, and Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, as well as several book chapters.
• In 2014 Division staff led three major NSF digitization projects to capture and retroactively database our world-class holdings. Presently our database numbers over 1,000,000 records and is growing rapidly.
• Research activities in the Division are largely funded by extramural grants from the National Science Foundation, National Geographic, and other international agencies, along with matching funds from entomological endowments.
• The Division is home to Kansas’ first elected member to the National Academy of Sciences, Distinguished Prof. & Curator Emeritus Charles D. Michener. Prof. Michener is one of only three Academy members at the University of Kansas.